Friday, September 26, 2008

Welcome Home

I landed at O'Hare Airport yesterday around noon, and my sister Anne greeted me with a hug, a kiss, and huge bouquet of beautiful flowers! After grabbing some lunch at a restaurant, we drove to Grace to pick up Paul and Rachel. Rachel and I ran to each other--just like in the movies!-- and my fourteen-year-old Paul reached out to give me a very special embrace.

Then it was time for Garfield's dismissal, and we stood near the playground door where the children exit the building. I saw David's teacher before I could distinguish individual children, and I waved and waved at the rows of children, figuring David would see me even before I could spot him. Suddenly, he came into view, sporting a smile a mile wide and waving at me as fast as he could. "Mama, mama! . . . Mrs. Goldenberg, my mother is here!" He bounded up the steps, and we clung to each other for a long, long time. Anne told me later that she and several teachers had tears in their eyes.

As we were still hugging, I heard another "Mama!" and I reached for Sarah. I enjoyed another eternal hug and then a three-way embrace with both children. On the way home in the car, they insisted that I sit in the back seat between them. What a treat for all of us!

About two hours later, it was Adam's turn when I picked him up after volleyball practice. Like Paul, my normally reserved teenager didn't hesitate to embrace me, even at school! And Adam enjoyed a ride home with just the two of us in the car. That's pretty unusual in our family, and both of us savored the moments.

1 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger adoptedthree said...

Welcome Home! How is Masha's son?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home