Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beginnings

The day I left for college still resonates in my memory. The packed car waited in the driveway while my family sat down to a marvelous breakfast. Mom served the best Belgian waffles I've ever eaten--they absolutely melted in my mouth. After eating, and with hugs and kisses, Dad and I began the long road trip from Houston to Rock Island, Illinois. As the oldest child in my family, my leave-taking marked the first time that our close-knit group of five would change forever.

For each person, the elements of a special event differ. Paul left early a few days ago for high school orientation, which for Walther H.S. is a two-day retreat at a local church camp. Paul didn't want any breakfast, but the two of us stopped at Dunkin' Donuts on the way, and I let him choose anything he wanted. A few minutes later, with his suitcase and a Pepsi in hand, he slowly walked into the school to wait for the bus. I wished him good luck and rejoiced silently as my oldest child began an important new venture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home