Thursday, May 20, 2010

New Shoes

Kola's tennis shoes had bit the dust. Holes in the soles, cracks in the uppers. He valiantly wore them, but kept reminding us that he really did need new ones.

I finally screwed up the courage to look in the basement among the boxes of donated shoes. When the rains came last week, I had moved everything to "high ground," which meant that loose shoes were no longer with their cousins. After about an hour, all the shoes were back in their proper bins, although pairing so many was out of the question. As I sorted the several hundred shoes, I kept an eye out for Kola's size. Amazingly, there wasn't even one pair of tennis shoes that would fit him.

As I emerged from the basement, he met me at the stairs. "Did you find shoes for me?"

"No, Kola, I didn't."

"YES!!! When can we go to the shoe store?"

Considering that he's owned only three new pairs of shoes in his whole life, the only surprise is that he limited himself to the word "YES"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home