Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Singing with the Lutherans

It's a busy time, as I prepare to travel this weekend to visit my parents, sister, and her family in Virginia. In the past, several people have sent me "Singing with the Lutherans" by Garrison Keillor. I'll give you some quick snippets since there's no time this week for actual posting.

____________________________

I have made fun of Lutherans for years--who wouldn't, if you lived in Minnesota? But I have also sung with Lutherans, and that is one of the main joys of life, along with hot baths and fresh sweet corn . . . .

I once sang the bass line of "Children of the Heavenly Father" in a room with about three thousand Lutherans in it; and when we finished, we all had tears in our eyes, partly from the promise that God will not forsake us, partly from the proximity of all those lovely voices. By our joining in harmony, we somehow promise that we will not forsake each other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home