Monday, September 24, 2012

Worse, Then Better

My father's medical condition on Friday and Saturday was extremely difficult. For about 36 hours after surgery, he faced drug reactions and infection that caused confusion, agitation, and fever. My mother, sister, and brother-in-law all watched to make sure he didn't pull out the tubes and take off his dressings. He is still quite strong, and they had to work very hard. My brother and I telephoned often, for my dad seemed to calm down when he talked to us. I sang familiar hymns and prayed with him. My sister did ask me, however, to stick to soft, soothing songs. When I sang "A Mighty Fortress," he struggled even more!

The hospital staff reacted quickly to his medical problems, and by Sunday his condition had improved considerably. Now Dad is himself again, although fatigued and depressed. But he's doing well enough that the doctors want my mother to move him to a rehab hospital for physical therapy.

Thank you, Lord, that he's doing better. I appreciate everyone's prayers for him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home