Thursday, May 23, 2013

Family History

While my father is having trouble with short-term memory, details from long ago are still crystal clear for him. He and I have been spending lots of time discussing family history, especially his days as a youngster in Kansas City.

He described spending time with the pastor's kids at about age 10. After hearing about playing kickball together, I asked him where the game took place, expecting him to cite the playground or a parking lot near the church.

"We played kickball inside the parsonage! Got in trouble for it, too."

Later in the evening, when I discussed this conversation with my mother, she informed me that she had been present for that very kickball game. She added the detail that the kickball had hit a clock in the living room of the parsonage.

It's fun to hear about one's parents very much acting as kids!

2 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Kate said...

Dear Mary,
Thinking of you, I'm glad to hear some good news about your Dad. Since we spoke my uncle Layton ( Mom's brother) has been diagnosed with pneumonia and lung cancer. My cousins are here from Nevada and California. We still hope for some healing, but my Mom is not encouraged.
Love, Kate

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Stahlkes said...

Kate,
Sorry to hear this news about your uncle. We'll keep him and your entire family in our prayers. Your mother has dealt with a lot of heartache in the last few years.
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home