Tuesday, February 11, 2014

My Dad

I returned last week from Virginia, and many of you have asked about my father. He is physically stronger than the last time I visited. He did not need oxygen, and ate two meals a day. Dad also moved his arms a lot more, and even sat up in bed a couple times a day, so he's getting a little bit of exercise. Last November and December, his breathing would become labored without oxygen, and at one point he stopped eating and drinking. While he is still on morphine and a sedative (for anxiety), the dosage is less than what he needed at the end of last year.

His confusion is much greater, but he still knew me. And Dad saved his energy for our goodbye last Wednesday, doing so with a focus that flooded me with amazement. What a gift!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home