Sunday, February 07, 2016

The Anti-Celebration

Jonathan and I lived in Hong Kong many years ago, and the most important celebration there is Chinese New Year.  Tonight is the eve of this year's big event, so Jonathan and I planned to drive the kids to Chinatown in Chicago for a special snack: fruit smoothies filled with tapioca balls.  If you'd like to take a look, check out the website for Joy Yee Noodle Restaurant, which we visit once a year:

http://joyyee.com/drink/

Our children do not handle unusual events very well, and today was no exception.  After getting into the car and facing our sixth or seventh discipline problem, Jonathan and I gave up and turned the car back toward home.   I made a pot of coffee, and he pulled out some chocolate fudge brownies for the two of us.

I consoled myself that we were eating the "anti-Chinese food."  When we lived in Hong Kong, we looked for months for some really chocolate desserts, and with great difficulty finally found one at an expatriate Swiss restaurant.  So celebrating Chinese Year today with chocolate fudge seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home