Sunday, June 19, 2016

Not As They Seem

Our church sponsored a table at their local "Summer Fest," and I took a turn yesterday manning the booth.  As my show-and-tell, I spread three octaves of chimes on the table, and played harmonies while singing some hymn tunes.

A family stopped by to listen, and took up my offer to play the chimes.  The two-year-old in her stroller was especially fascinated, and explored chimes of every size and pitch.  Her father joined her, playing rhythms together and gently touching the chimes to different surfaces to explore the sounds.  The child grinned in delight and spent almost twenty minutes having a grand time.

As they prepared to go, the older sister told the child to thank me.  She didn't say anything, but I said "you're welcome" anyway.  Then the sister explained that her young sibling had thanked me with sign language.  It was my first indication that she enjoyed the chimes for their vibrations, not their sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home