Thursday, May 31, 2007

Conflict Averted

I read some more articles today on the Internet, which clarified for me what's been going on in Ukraine the last few days. The deployment of troops to Kiev actually occurred late last week, and they were blocked from entering the city. The potential for conflict seemed to have made all of the parties involved readier to negotiate, and over the weekend the President and Prime Minister agreed on a date for elections--Sept. 30. Parliament has not been able to pass legislation yet that will cover the details of running the elections, but I'm assuming they will continue debating those issues.

The stress of the past week's events has been high. The Interior Minister, who I mentioned in my last blog, suffered a heart attack Wednesday, and his condition is unknown.

Please continue your prayers for all involved, and especially for peace.

___
source: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6706615.stm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home