Thursday, May 03, 2007

That Baseball Song

Last Saturday morning, we all attended the opening ceremony for Little League season in Forest Park. The children were bouncing off the walls on Friday and early Saturday, most of them not sure what was coming but figuring it would be fun. All the teams gathered on the main ballfield, and they heard the national anthem, listened to speeches by various dignitaries, and saw the first pitch by the mayor.

Ever since then, we've been in a swirl of practices and games. Yesterday afternoon, Lena had her first practice in a week and found out that an extra game has been added for tomorrow (in addition to the scheduled one on Saturday). She is so excited! And the best part is wearing the "costume" (uniform).

When I say goodnight to the three younger children, we always sing a song together. I ask them what they want to sing, and sometimes they pick something, but often they ask me to choose. Since it's necessary to sing the words from memory, the songs are usually hymns, but not always. Occasionally, they ask for a new song they've never heard before, and if I can't think of one, I make one up. They're on to me, though--"that's not a real song!" If it's been a special day, they beg for two songs, and once, we even sang three.

Last night, on the day of her practice, Lena asked me to sing a "baseball" song. I immediately thought of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" but couldn't remember all the words. As I started to try it out, Lena looked at me and said, "No, not that song! The one the lady sang last Saturday!" What a relief--I do know the words to the national anthem!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home