Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Names, Again

Me: "Misha, is Luda in the dining room with you?"
Misha: "No, Mom. Rachel is upstairs in her bedroom."

We've always given the children the choice of which of their names to use in any given context. Early on, they decided that Ukrainian names were good at home, while English names were better in public. But now, the children are exclusively using English names with each other, even at home. Jonathan has pretty much switched over, too. I'm the only one in the immediate family calling them by their Ukrainian names, and even then, I use their Ukrainian names only when their friends are not within earshot.

I've been waiting for them to ask me to use their English names, but months have gone by, and they haven't said a thing about it. So, I finally polled the younger three. The consensus is that they want me to use their Ukrainian names as long as we're not in public.

Since a blog site is anything but private, I will respect their wishes and change their names to English in my future posts. For those of you who need a refresher, here's a key for future reference:

Paul Ruslan, 14
Adam Bogdan, 12
Rachel Ludmila ("Luda"), 11
Sarah Olena ("Lena"), 9
David Mihailo ("Misha"), 8

Mikola, nicknamed "Kola," does not yet have an English name. We learned with the other five children that it's very hard to name someone you haven't met. Jonathan and I have some definite ideas for Kola's English name, but we're waiting on a final decision until our upcoming trip to Ukraine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home