Saturday, May 10, 2008

Vocabulary

"Mom, do you like hot pads?"

"David, do you mean the small electric pad we used for the baby squirrel a few weeks ago? I borrowed that from a neighbor until we could take the squirrel to the wildlife rehab center. We don't actually own a hot pad ourselves."

"Mom, not THAT kind of hot pad."

"Do you mean the thick plastic bags that hold hot water? Those are called hot water bottles. We do own one of those. It's great for my shoulders when my tendonitis is bothering me."

"Mom, that's not it either! It's the thing we put on the table under a hot dish of food."

"Oh, you mean a trivet!" [I couldn't remember the term "hot plate" on the spur of the moment!]

"YES!! Mom, do you like trivets?"

I looked at David's eager, wide-eyed face and thought quickly.

"David, I LOVE trivets. They are really wonderful!"

David beamed from ear to ear. I'm sure I'll be receiving a trivet tomorrow for Mother's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home