Wednesday, December 10, 2008

F(requent) (R)andom (A)ctivity (P)attern

Fall 1994
Our puppy Alabama slipped out the front door of our townhouse, but luckily we saw her leave. Jonathan took off in hot pursuit, and she zipped around the entire house, not once, not twice, but three times. My joy at this sight, although tempered by fear of the busy street nearby, made me grin to see her frap with such abandon. Our first year with her showed us that puppies either sleep or run. There's not much middle ground.

Fall 2008

Dakota sniffed the new-fallen snow, not hearing me as I called. I clapped my hands, and the high partials of the sound broke through his poor hearing. He raced for the back door, but feeling the snow under his feet, decided instead to pass it. He took a sudden turn in the side yard, spraying a shower of snow sparks. We've noticed that old dogs still have fraps like puppies, but the frequency of the incidents diminishes over time.

Most of the time I feel more like Dakota than Alabama--thankful for those rare bursts of energy. I'm sure you know who the kids take after!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home