Monday, November 24, 2008

Learning More English

I have a few minutes today at the computer. It would be longer, but I am now picking up Peter at school ten minutes before the bell rings. He struggles with transitions, and the move from school back to home is a big one. His teachers suggested that getting him out of the fray while the other children collect their belongings and don their coats might help him from having tantrums or otherwise disrupting behavior.

My adoption counselor told me that transitions are often difficult for children from orphanages. Their fear of abandonment means they wonder if anyone will actually come to pick them up. What might happen to them? And those difficult feelings translate into acting-out behavior.

Well, I've digressed--my actual topic today was learning English. Every day, Kola adds more English words to his Ukrainian sentences. The latest is "Scuse me!" It's very handy when you need to go somewhere--quickly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home