Friday, November 21, 2008

Firsts

Oranges
At first, Kola tried to bite his orange like an apple.

Ice cream
"I know it's supposed to be good, since I've seen it on TV. But it's SO cold!

Cold milk
"It's better at room temperature. I don't like it cold!"

Airplain ride
Jonathan spent a lot of time in Ukraine explaining the upcoming airplane ride to Kola. When asked about a typical American family, Kola replied, "Mama, Papa, children, dog, house, car, and airplaine!"

Fruits besides apples and bananas
Jonathan shops for fruits and vegetables at the Mexican market, and he loves to bring unusual ones as well as our regular fare. Kola loves fruit, and he has no idea that papaya, kiwi, and guanabana are any more unusual than plums and canelope.

First English sentence
Kola has been inserting isolated English words into his Ukrainian sentences. "Mama, when are we eating LUNCH?" But two days ago, I heard a complete, albeit short, sentence in English: "Joshua, hi!" It took me a moment to recognize the words, since he pronounced his friend's name joh-shew-ah, but it was definitely English.

Goodnight routine
On Wednesday evening, I kissed Kola goodnight on the top of the head. He asked me something in Ukrainian, and although I didn't know the words, the meaning was clear. I leaned over so he could kiss me on the cheek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home