Friday, December 19, 2008

Postscript: Discipline?

The other day, Kola refused to put on his shoes as we prepared to leave for an appointment. Adam helped him with one shoe, but I told Adam that it was time for Kola to learn a lesson. I picked Kola up, with only one shoe, and carried him to the car.

When we arrived for our appointment, I carried him into the building and to the elevator. In the waiting room, he had to sit on my lap, since he didn't have both shoes on his feet. When the appointment was finished, I carried him to the car, and then later into the house.

He didn't get to run around and play, which he told me he missed, but he did get some physical closeness with Mama. I think he got the point, and he hasn't refused again to put on his shoes.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Kevin and Tammy said...

I think the discipline has been the hardest task. Good to read your blog. Glad things are moving along.
Tammy

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 3 children, ages 8, 6 and 3. We've tried that same lesson with the shoes and they don't miss a thing. They think it's a special treat because they got to be held, carried, and had one on one time with a parent they normally have to share. I'm glad it worked for you, though! My two younger ones won't wear socks - even with all the snow we've had. They'd rather be cold. I figure that if they don't mind the consequences and it isn't dangerous or otherwise wrong, it's OK. After all, socks and shoes ARE a personal preference. There are plenty of men who still wear sandals in the winter. Who am I to dictate what makes my child comfortable? Again, I'm glad it worked for you - it's nice when we find what works! (By the way, you don't know me, I happened to come actoss your blog from the Trinity church in Villa Park.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home