Saturday, May 30, 2009

Postscript: Makes My Heart Sing

This morning, Sarah, David, and Kola performed in the end-of-year program for their Saturday Ukrainian school. They joined children from the lower classes to fĂȘte the graduating students by singing Ukraining folk songs and reciting verse. Kola, as usual when he is nervous, rocked from side to side as he sang, keeping exact time with the music.

The program lasted over two hours, and after completing his performance, Kola started flagging. He joined me in the audience and fidgeted until I started rhythmically rocking him. That settled him enough that he tried to curl up and fall asleep. Sitting on my lap, he turned his head and leaned into me, grabbing my arms and pulling them around him. I sat very quietly, hoping he would drift off.

Suddenly, he sat up, turned to me, and exclaimed:
"Mama, I can hear something inside you singing!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home