Friday, January 29, 2010

Court

We all stood in the court room yesterday before the judge's tribunal. He started to reiterate the facts of our case by asking the children, "When did you come from Ukraine?" The older five children said, "about five years ago," but Kola responded, "two years ago." [Even though it's been 1-1/2 years, I've told him he's in his 'second year' after arrival.]

The judge wondered why Kola had arrived at a different time, and he asked him, "Did you take the slow boat?" Not understanding the idiom, Kola exclaimed, "I took a PLANE!"

I was reminded of the first moments after we met Kola, which I excerpt here from my blog post of September 10, 2008:

Everyone in the hallway, and especially Mikola, just beamed as we walked into the director's office. Jonathan and I knelt down to talk with him, and he seemed relieved when Jonathan greeted him in Ukrainian. He replied in Ukrainian, "Hello! Are you going to take me?"

Jonathan assured him that we would take him, but that our departure together was over three weeks away. At that time, he would ride a "samalot" (airplane) with his new Papa. "Samalot, samalot, samalot!" he said over and over in delight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home