Thursday, May 27, 2010

Learning Curve

Our six-year-old David exited the store in Ukrainian village with his pants pocket bulging. I stopped him and asked for the contents of his pocket--candy. We marched back into the store and found the manager. Despite the language barrier, I made clear to the man that David had taken the candy without paying. Instead of backing me up, the manager smiled and said to him, "It doesn't cost that much--why don't you just keep it?" Aaaaargh!

Yesterday, our ten-year-old David walked with me to a parking structure to pick up our car. At the pay station, he discovered that a previous customer had forgotten their change--four $1 bills. I was proud of David that he showed me the money, and we immediately searched for the security guard to turn it in.

I was ready this time. When the man started to tell David to keep the money, I interrupted and told him that we were very glad when our children turned in money that didn't belong to them. He caught the hint, and thanked David for his honesty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home