Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Mother's Love

As the hymn began, the voices and trumpet sang as one. I was reminded that the congregation at a funeral sings for the family and friends who are not able. The words of triumph rang out:

Lift high the cross, the love of Christ proclaim
Till all the world adore His sacred name.

All newborn soldiers of the Crucified
Bear on their brows the seal of Him who died.

Let ev'ry race and ev'ry language tell
Of Him who saves our lives from death and hell.

So shall our song of triumph ever be:
Praise to the Crucified for victory!


A brass instrument signifies glory and triumph, but today this sound had even deeper meaning. I thought of a mother smiling as she listened to her son. Years ago she had invited us to the Chicago Jazz Festival, where her son's high school jazz band was the youngest group of musicians asked to participate. It was a great honor for them to play among the professional musicians, and we were privileged to share the experience with his family.

I can still see Marianne there, quietly supporting Michael by her presence and her smile. She did the same for countless people in her family, church, workplace, and community. She let others know that her Lord walked with her, even in the hard times. The service ended with another hymn:

I know that my Redeemer lives; what comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, He lives, who once was dead; He lives, my ever-living head.

He lives triumphant from the grave: He lives eternally to save;
He lives all-glorious in the sky; He lives exalted there on high.

He lives and grants me daily breath; He lives and I shall conquer death;
He lives my mansion to prepare; He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives, all glory to His name! He lives, my Jesus, still the same:
Oh, the sweet joy this sentence gives: I know that my Redeemer lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home