Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mr. Sunshine

I miss Dakota. He was always awake with me, early in the morning, giving tremendous joy. Alabama was the complex, interesting dog, but not usually affectionate or happy. Dakota made up for that in spades, loving to wag, and bark, and sing, and in his direct way giving obedience as best he knew how. And of course, he would gaze at me with those beautiful eyes.

When our family visited Oregon a few years ago, Dakota and I woke before everyone else and took a walk to the ocean. We crossed the deserted beach, 100 yards wide, and stepped into the water. It was cold, so we only entered up to our ankles. I was gratified that we had come so far together. The waves gently rolled, and we stood there looking west for a very long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home