Friday, October 18, 2013

Changing Seasons

Many aspects of life in Chicago differ greatly from those in southern Texas, where I grew up. This week is a case in point, as I study the weather reports carefully for a forecast of our first freeze. Few things in nature are so definite as the 32-degree mark. Once it arrives, most of the plants in my yard and garden are done for.

And from a practical angle, the day before that first freeze requires about an hour's work to pull all the tomatoes out of the garden. They will ripen inside, so saving even the green ones is worth the effort. Some years, we've even saved a formerly very-green garden tomato to eat on Christmas Day!

2 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger cindy said...

I am roasting some tomatoes tonight for supper! Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger cindy said...

I am roasting some tomatoes tonight for supper! Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home