Saturday, October 26, 2013

Post Wall

When I lived in eastern Germany in the early 1990s, my friends lamented their high school requirement to learn Russian. They all felt that English would have been much more useful, and English classes were all the rage. Jonathan landed a job teaching English and Spanish that allowed us to extend our stay in Germany by an entire semester.

This morning, as I drove my son David to a youth event at church, he started reminiscing about his early days in Ukraine. For "summer camp" during his stay in the orphanage, a large number of young children were driven in buses to Germany for gymnastics camp, complete with home stays with German families. I asked David how he had communicated with his German mom and dad.

"They spoke Russian!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home