Monday, December 09, 2013

Blessings Among the Struggles

Yesterday, the ice storm closed in on the east coast, with forecasts of slick roads, downed trees, and power outages. My mother told the health care aides to stay at their own homes, since driving would be so dangerous. My sister's entire family--Anne, her husband Andrew, and her children Ben (10) and Annika (9) came to my parents' house to spend the night.

It now takes two people to change my father, since his body is so stiff, and movement like rolling him on his side is painful due to his weakened heart. The faster the change can take place, the better, so Dad is uncomfortable as short a time as possible. Changes must also take place often, every two hours, to prevent painful rashes from strong uric acid due to decreased fluid intake. But that's better than catheterization. My mother is too disabled with back trouble to help with the changing, but with Anne and Andrew both in the house last night, they could together take care of Dad's needs. Dad is also having trouble swallowing ice cream, and his cough is worsening. It seems that his time with us is very short now, and his journey to heaven is imminent.

In the midst of these difficulties, my family set up computers to watch Concordia's service of Lessons and Carols. This is the first year for Concordia to stream this event live, and I'm sure it took a great deal of work to set everything up. But it was well worth it. The big TV in my father's room was filled with the sights and sounds of gorgeous Christmas music last night. My mother sat with my father for the entire performance, enjoying every moment. And when it was time for the men's choir to sing, Ben and Anni were summoned from their playtime to watch Uncle Jon conduct.

In the midst of much hardship, the Christmas message came again to my family through the gift of beautiful music. Many thanks to those at Concordia who made this possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home