Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Developments

I looked out my window yesterday and saw Mama Rabbit nursing her babies in broad daylight. The milk crate still covered the nest, but the little ones took turns emerging from under the basket, slipping through the "handle" holes, and nursing. The whole scene took place less than 15 feet from my window, and was fascinating to watch.

Due to the neighbor's cat, I shooed Mama away when I couldn't watch her anymore, and two of the largest babies ran off with her! After supper, Peter and I found them in the yard and secured them in safety under the milk crate, blocking the holes. That gave me time to think what to do next.

At 11 pm, I uncovered the nest for the night, as I've done now for ten days. The babies were sleeping peacefully, with the two large ones not fitting into the nest anymore. Their entire heads stuck out from the ground. I covered them with a little dry grass and let them be.

This morning, the two had flown the coop. The other six babies are much smaller, so I continued my daily routine. And . . . we are no longer letting Kentucky in the yard without a leash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home