Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Things Swedish I

I follow a English-language website for Swedish news, which often publishes lists of various things.  I sometimes find that my own personality traits show up in these lists.  In a recent article "My Swedish Habits that Foreigners Just Don't Get," written by a Swede who lived in England, here is Habit #1:

Numbering the year in weeks
Swedes like rules and context, and not knowing what week we're in, in relation to the calendar year, makes us uncomfortable . . . . Therefore, we have taken to numbering all the weeks of the year from 1 right up to 52. So instead of saying “the week starting Monday, April 20th” we will simply say “week 17”. Not only that, but we will know instinctively what week it is without checking. 

1 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to be kidding! This kind of thinking hurts my brain! I must NOT be Swedish!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home