Monday, June 04, 2007

Rewards of Motherhood

During our recent interviews with reporters, I have often been asked, "What do you like about being a mother?" So when we were waiting to speak on live radio a few weeks ago, that was a question I could anticipate. The overarching answers escape me, and my answer that day was "the little things." For example, I was thrilled each day after school when our kindergartner would run into my arms.

One of those moments happened about two weeks ago. The children in turn had raided the recycling bin for materials to make "projects." Most of them were variations of either aliens or musical instruments, but Lena decided to make a lighthouse. She took a pie plate for the water, with dabs of purple Playdo to signify the waves. (She told me it was the only color available, or it would have been blue.) The lighthouse itself was a cardboard tube from a paper towel roll. At the base of the lighthouse sat two Playdo figures, one in the lap of the other. I asked her who they were, and she answered, "me and you." She then said it could also be Anne, my sister, and her toddler, Annika, but on second thought, she decided that it was "me and Mama."

I felt such joy from her comment, for she was telling me that I provide love and safety for her in the same way mothers do with very young children. To know that she feels safe with me means a tremendous amount.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home