Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Real Counselor

Counseling has helped both Jonathan and me during our journey through infertility and adoption. At one particularly stressful time of decision-making, we each saw a personal counselor once or twice a month AND met together with a marriage counselor every week.

Misha, our eight-year-old, knows that we see counselors, and he is very jealous that he can't have one, too. He's quite well-adjusted and not in need of one at this time, so we haven't granted his request.

A few months ago, he was having a hard day and asked Jonathan, "Will you be my counselor until I can have a real one?" Jonathan agreed, and the two of them went upstairs for their first session. Misha collected the things he needed, including a large box of Kleenex. After talking for quite a while, they scheduled their next session for the coming Friday, and he came downstairs a much happier child. In the months since that first session, Misha and Jonathan have continued to meet occasionally for their "counseling" time.

Last Thursday, the elementary school telephoned me that Misha had a fever. Our pediatrician diagnosed strep throat, so he had to miss school the next day. I telephoned my counselor to cancel my scheduled appointment on Friday, since I would be busy with child care, but Jonathan suggested I ask her instead if Misha could come along. She agreed, and they were able to meet each other for the first time. Our most talkative child was very shy with her. But she's great with kids and eventually drew him out. In retrospect, the reason for his shyness was obvious--he was meeting his very first REAL counselor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home