Wednesday, January 30, 2008

An "Ives-"ian Moment

On Wednesday afternoons, I drive to confirmation classes with Ruslan and Bogdan. After class, the kids attend youth group, followed by a joint supper with the high school students. I teach music as part of the confirmation curriculum, and when I'm not teaching, I use the extra time to get some work done. Therefore, the boys and I share the car ride to and from church each week.

We've arranged that each week one person gets to choose the radio station. The boys usually pick pop or rap, and "my music" is WFMT, Chicago's classical station. Ruslan now remembers when it's my turn, and he brings his headset to listen to his own music.

Yesterday, it was my turn to choose, and the radio gave a great rendition of Stavinsky's Firebird Suite. Sumulateously, I could hear some rap faintly bleeding through from Ruslan's earphones. In the back seat, Bogdan was playing a game on my cellphone, complete with an innocuous electronic melody.

I bet Charles Ives would have been intrigued.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home