Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Working Things Out in Dreams

My counselor loves to hear about my dreams, which I often remember in great detail. She's better than I am at figuring out what they mean. About a week ago, in the midst of the "document tunnel," I dreamed the following:

A very short refrigerator sat on the screen porch of an old house. It was functioning just fine, but it was old and rundown, mostly used for picnic fare and outdoor meals. (No, this dream is not about wishing that winter would end, although that would be a good guess!)

On top of the refrigerator was a small potted plant that needed to be transplanted to another container. I carefully pulled the plant out of the pot, but despite my best efforts, all of the dirt fell away, exposing the roots. Some of the roots were developing into small vegetables, perhaps radishes or carrots. They were not yet ripe but definitely growing. I knew that exposed roots could die, so I did my best to keep them damp with a wet paper cloth.

The new container for the plant was not new at all, and was filled with lots of trash and a little dirt. I pulled all of the trash out, but the dirt was stuck in the bottom half of the pot. My time was limited, due to the roots being so unprotected, and I worked quickly to make a hole for the new plant. The space was woefully small for all the roots that needed planting, but I placed the plant in its new pot, covered its roots with soil, watered it, and placed it back on top of the refrigerator.
__________________________

How are your psychological chops? Here is part of my counselor's analysis:

Short refrigerator = Europe, where Kola is waiting
Plant = our family
Roots = our children
Watering = my attempts to care for our family
Replanting = my attempts to "grow" our family by bringing Kola

I'll assume you can figure out the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home