Saturday, March 15, 2008

Perspective

About three weeks ago, in the midst of a whirlwind (dossier, Holy Week prep, basketball, laundry, dishes, etc., etc.), a thin envelope appeared in our mail. I let out an involuntary, very loud groan--JURY DUTY!

The children immediately asked me what was in the letter. My thoughts turned to the last time I had jury duty: In the year 2001, B.K. (before kids), I served on the jury of a three-week malpractice lawsuit. Despite all the theories about people like me being unpopular with lawyers, I was still selected for that jury. At the time, I was trying to finish my dissertation; in addition, that round of jury duty almost bumped up against a trip to England, which was my parent's graduation gift. I actually enjoyed the jury experience, but it was very, very inconvenient.

Still, when the children asked me why the letter bothered me so much, I immediately backpedaled and told them about our privilege as citizens to serve on juries. By the looks on their faces, I could tell they weren't convinced. My first thought was that the inconvenience had made my groan more believable than the reasoned explanation that followed. But it became quickly clear that they were extremely worried that I would go to court, be convicted, and sent away to prison.

At the courtroom in Ukraine where the adoption was finalized, a cage stood prominently next to the judge's seat, ready to hold the criminals whose guilt was being decided. The children, understandably, reacted quite negatively to the cage. They have never seen an American courtroom, and I'm sure they assume that cages are used there, too.

Jonathan and I assured them that jurors and defendants are not the same people, but the children continued to ply us with questions. I showed up for jury duty two days ago, since I can't risk getting called this summer when we will hopefully travel to Ukraine. The court did not choose me (or anyone else on the panel, for that matter), and I am excused from further service for an entire year. But the best part was seeing the relieved looks on the children's faces when I joined them for snack later that day!

1 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,

I had a moment, and wanted you to know that I do occasionally find time to check your page.

It was great to talk to you recently, and catch up on your news. Congratulations on the completed dossier. Yeah!

Our latest word is that late April is the soonest time we might travel. My wish that the baby will be with us for his first birthday may come true.

We'll keep you posted.

Pax.
Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home