Sunday, May 25, 2008

Postscript: Bits of Ukrainian

"Old Macdonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had a _____"

Eight-year-old David lay in bed, looking up at me. As usual for this bedtime song, I waited for him to pick a farm animal. Instead of the horse, pig, or dog that he usually chooses, he said "mom."

Old Macdonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had a mom,
E-I-E-I-O
With a ___

"David, what kind of sound does a mom make?"

I held my breath, and my heart started pounding.
What would he say? What words does he think I often say to him?

He took a long time to respond, looking up at me while he thought.
Imagine my intense relief when his answer was "Good boy!"

With a "Good boy!" here and a "Good boy!" there
Here a "Good boy!" there a "Good boy!"
Everywhere a "Good boy!"
Old Macdonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home