Saturday, June 13, 2009

Camping

Shades State Park, near Terra Haute, Indiana:

Wednesday, June 10, 2:00 am
I awoke to a crash of thunder and the sound of Dakota pacing around the edges of the tent. Grabbing the dog as he neared me, I pulled him down next to my sleeping bag and held on tight. As another flash of light illuminated the tent, Dakota jumped and Kola started rocking. I held on to both of them for all I was worth.

Thursday, June 11, 4:00 am
Laying on my back with Kola under one arm and Kota under the other, an hour of lightning, thunder, and heavy rain passed by. I wanted so badly to shift position--my back was killing me--but I couldn't decide which of my charges needed more care. Kola required comforting, and Dakota's pacing would have woken every child in the tent.

Friday, June 12, 8:00 am
After a night of no rain, Kola told me, "Mama, it didn't rain last night!" He was surprised, since in his experience, camping meant major thunderstorms, every night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home