Sunday, November 01, 2009

Why?

All day yesterday, Kola exhibited tantrum after tantrum. Jonathan called them rages. We've been trying to figure out why. Was he upset by a fairly new experience? (He had only gone trick-or-treating once before.) Was he afraid to go? Or was something else going on? It wasn't sugar, since he hadn't collected any candy yet.

I kept him close to me, in case the issue was attachment-related. If he yelled or threw things, he remained in the bathroom while I worked in the adjacent kitchen. When he became calm enough to sit quietly, I allowed him to move into the kitchen and sit on the floor near me. Then he'd get mad again, and I'd put him back in the bathroom. We alternated this dance about four times.

He finally settled down, and we eventually went trick-or-treating with David and Sarah. The rest of the evening was fine, even fun, although Mom and Dad were pretty worn out.

2 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good evening - I've been reading your blog since the article on your family appeared in the Lutheran witness. I enjoy reading about large families and find yours facinating! After reading your post this evening I am wondering if you have had Kola tested for strep? We have a daughter who never had a sore throat but occationally went through spurts of terrible temper tantrums - if I took her into the doctor she almost always tested positive for strep. Maybe it was just a coinsidence but her behavior turned around fairly quickly on medication.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Stahlkes said...

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely follow up on that one.
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home