Sunday, July 31, 2011

Snafus

1. The first year A.K. (after kids), Jonathan and I often showed the wear and tear of parenthood in the morning, especially during preparation time for breakfast. One morning, he almost tossed the eggshells in the clothes bin, and I came close to throwing dirty socks in the trashcan.

2. Years later, I'm known at church as the person who loses keys. Our youth director has assured me that the problem is not memory loss, but rather the overwhelming stimuli of motherhood. That was the issue about a year ago, when I was helping cook a meal for the youth at our church. I threw my purse on the table, and in the rush to cook tossed my keys into the purse's side pocket. Later, I couldn't find my keys and didn't remember where I had left them. After looking for the better part of an hour, I gave up for the night. The next morning, there was a message on my phone. The other woman who had cooked for the youth also had a black purse, and it had been sitting next to mine. She found my keys in the side pocket of her purse!

3. On Monday three weeks ago, Kola finished his day of summer school, and I picked him up in our van. Standing at the side door, I put my right hand on the top of the vehicle, reached for the sliding door, and pulled it hard. Unfortunately, my hand was not actually on top of the van, but rather resting on the headrest of the interior passenger seat. The door hit my forearm very hard, leaving a nasty bruise within the hour. The arm healed within a few days, however, and I didn't think twice about it.

Over the next few days, I did a lot of weeding in the yard, using my right arm to pry out the weeds with a dandelion puller. I must have overdone the weeding, for my shoulder ached every evening. By the following Sunday, I had to take a double dose of Aleve to get through my piano-playing for church. Jonathan was the first to realize that my injury came from the van door, not the weeds.

Well, it's been three weeks now, and my shoulder still aches, sometimes pretty badly. I finally saw a doctor last Thursday, who diagnosed a partial dislocation (subluxation) of my shoulder. It won't improve until the arm is reset (closed reduction), which will happen tomorrow. I'm ready to feel better, but I did become concerned when the doctor said the procedure would make me "call out for my ancestors"!

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you.
Your Colorado Cuz

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Stahlkes said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home