Thursday, August 23, 2012

Devotions

After our evening meal, Jonathan reads a chapter from the Bible, and then we sing a hymn verse. To close our devotion, Jonathan takes prayers requests and offers petitions for them. In recent months, many of our relatives and friends have been dealing with cancer, and so every night we've prayed for them.

At Peter's bedtime recently, he asked me the meaning of our current devotional hymn verse:

When peace like a river attendeth my way,
And sorrows like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.


Many of those words required explanation--attendeth, sorrows, billows, soul. At the last of those words, he equated sorrows and soul. "When I do something bad, is that 'soul cancer'?"

"No, Peter, the word for that is 'sin.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home