Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Barrier Overcome

Many people ask us about the language issue with adopted children from overseas. We studied Ukrainian with a private tutor for six months before our trip, which helped us learn the Cyrillic alphabet and get a good start on the basics of the language. We then learned a lot while in Ukraine and from the children after our return. And very quickly, their English outpaced our Ukrainian. In addition, they have had wonderful tutoring in English through their schools.

Let Adam tell you in his own words about the language challenge. The following is his own school assignment to describe a personal barrier and the ways that he overcame it. I have a hunch that the student thesaurus on our bookshelf at home came in handy for him.
_____

1. Hi my name is Adam
My barrier is -- Moving from country Ukraine to
America with a new family when I was 10 years old.
2. I could not talk English at all when I came to
United State.
And when people are trying to talk to me all I
Do is smile and wave my hand at them.
3. I used Courage, Determination, Teamwork,
Persistence, Integrity, Citizenship, Justice,
Commitment, Excellence.
4. Now I am talking a lot of English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home