Friday, March 30, 2007

Big Weekend

The squares in my weekly planner aren't big enough for all the events this weekend--I had to slip my own daily sheets into the calender to keep everything straight!

Tonight, Bogdan is playing clarinet in the spring band concert, followed directly by a Boy Scout informational meeting for the two older boys. Jonathan will leave the meeting early to attend the University Band Concert at Concordia. In the meantime, I'm going to try to take the three younger kids swimming at a YMCA to wear off their nervous energy and help the tendonitis in my shoulder.

On Saturday, the four younger children have the usual Ukrainian school from 9:00 to 1:00. During Jonathan's dress rehearsal that morning for Sunday's orchestra concert, I'll go shopping at Costco for some much-needed groceries. In the afternoon, we'll try to swim again to take the edge off the kids' energy. In the evening is Trinity's fundraiser for Kola's adoption, held at the Elks Lodge in Villa Park near the church. From all indications, it will be a wonderful event--the church as well as the communities in Villa Park, Forest Park, and River Forest are really helping to bring Mikola home.

On Sunday at church, the late service involves trumpet, handchimes, and soloists from the confirmation classes, since the 8th graders are being confirmed that day. So I'm booked up from 7:30 am straight through to 12:00 noon with either rehearsals or services. I may cancel my regular rehearsals for the Sunday School choirs, which would free up a 15-minute break in the middle of the morning. Ruslan, too, has a big role in the service--he is serving as torchbearer in the procession of palms.

Sunday afternoon will have a little bit of down time before Jonathan's big orchestra concert that evening. Since Concordia is hiring a new orchestra conductor (starting next fall), Sunday's concert is Jonathan's last full performance with the orchestra. (The orchestra will play only one piece on the spring music festival in April.) The first half of Sunday's concert features the winners of Concordia's concerto competition, and part of their prize is playing with orchestral accompaniment. The second half of the program is Part II of Handel's Messiah, which Jonathan has prepared with the orchestra. The director of the Festival Chorus, Chuck Brown, will conduct the work, and Jonathan will sing in the bass section to help them out. I will sit with the children during the first half of the concert, then head home for baths and homework. At that point, I think we'll probably all fall in bed exhausted. On second thought, only I will fall in bed exhausted, since the kids have a seemingly endless supply of energy. I'd be rich if I could bottle and sell it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home