Thursday, September 13, 2007

Multi-tasking

From the very first day we met, the kids often talk to me all at the same time. I have a pretty good system worked out to listen to them in order, and they now know they must wait their turn.

But yesterday, we were late to a dinner at church, and I needed to dispatch things pretty quickly. Four of the five were talking to me simultaneously, and I managed to answer them all without making them take turns. Interestingly, the conversations suited their ages and personalities:

Ruslan, 13, who doesn't like to wait, asked me to unlock the rear hatch of the van with my remote control key. He forgot to add "please" to his request, but I didn't insist due to the other three conversations that were going on. My response to him was the easiest, as it didn't take any words to unlock the car!

Bogdan, 12, our businessman and entrepreneur, expressed concern that the church dinner would preclude time to fill out forms for a school fundraiser. These forms were very important to him, since any students who returned them by the next day would receive prizes. I assured him that there would be time before bed to get the forms completed.

Luda, 11, our pre-teen, asked me if we could go shopping soon for new clothes. "When, Mom, when?"

Misha, 8, our budding thespian, wanted very much to wear his cowboy costume to the church dinner. My rule is that costumes and makeup are ok at home but not in public. Of course, he remembered the one time that I let him wear his Superman costume to the laundromat, and therefore he felt totally wronged that I denied his "cowboy" request. He managed to weasel one bandana out of me.

Olena, 9, missed all these conversations, but she makes up for it at other times.
__________________________________

With everything answered, we got in the car, and "made it to the church on time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home