Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Slow Down

After lots of high church music on Pentecost and Trinity Sunday, our services on May 25 featured several piano pieces and low church hymns. That meant that I got my exercise running between the organ in the balcony and the piano at the front of the sanctuary. My pedometer counts are always high on Sunday anyway, but May 25 was impressive even for a Sunday.

The timing of the communion hymns was a little tricky, since the length of communion is dependent on the number of people attending the service. My goal was to play the hymns on the piano and then walk to the balcony to play the post-communion canticle. At the 8:00 am service, the smaller attendance meant that I had to move quickly (i.e., run once I was out of the congregation's sightlines). I jumped on the organ bench and immediately started playing. It became clear right away that no one was singing, but some of our liturgical pieces are new, and the congregation isn't very familiar with them yet.

The post-communion canticle ended, and I played the pitches for the pastor's chant. Instead of chanting, however, he spoke the post-communion prayer, and I finally realized that I had just played the offertory for the second time!
_________________________

Later that morning, I returned to the organ for the 10:30 am service. On my music stand, I found the following note:

MARY,
DON'T FORGET TO TURN THE PAGE!
GOD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home