Sunday, June 01, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter

As a child, my mother would occasionally address me by my sister's name, and vice versa. I've heard that in our family it's a generational thing, with my grandmother and great grandmother having done it, too. Well, now I'm calling Rachel "Sarah," and Sarah "Rachel" (actually, Luda "Lena" and Lena "Luda"), which my children love to correct. But last night the problem reached a new level . . .

I was folding laundry in the basement as Adam chose some clothing to wear. He and I were talking about my husband when he (Jonathan) called down the basement steps for me. In quick succession, I called back to him: "Dad, Papa, Jon!" But as I struggled for the correct word, it came out, "Da(d)-Po(p)-Jon!"

I don't normally address Jonathan as "Papa," but I do refer to him that way with the kids. And as the children become more Americanized, they are switching from the Ukrainian "Papa" to the American "Dad." My mind didn't switch very fast between my conversation with Adam and my response to Jonathan.

Adam was quite tickled by my new name for his father: "Daa-pah-jahn"!

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger Missy said...

This post reminded me of my mom. I have a brother Bobby and a brother Kevin. When I was a kid...I thought my name was Bo-Ke-Missy. For some reason, she could never get it on the first try. :)

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mom and dad do that to my sister and I. My sister calls me Lynn (my middle name) which confuses my mom because her name is Linda, and my dad also calls me Lin, I guess because he talks to my mother like he talks to me, or because i look so much like her

 

Post a Comment

<< Home