Sunday, April 18, 2010

Moms and Dads

Last Thursday, April 8, marked the birthday of Jonathan's father and brother. Yes, Grandma Stahlke held off her son Tim's birth until a few minutes after midnight so that he would share a birthday with his dad. Tim and his wife Lois spent last week with us in Chicago, and we were privileged to help celebrate Tim's 50th birthday. In addition, Paul and Kola got to know their godparents a little better.

During the day on April 8, Kola and I were driving alone to an appointment. I took advantage of the quiet time in the car and suggested to him:


Mary: "Let's call Grandpa for his birthday."
Kola: "Which one? Grandpa Benson or Grandpa Stahlke?"
Mary: "It's Grandpa Stahlke's birthday today. Did you know that Grandpa Stahlke is your papa's dad? And that Tim is your papa's brother?"
Mary: "Really?"
Mom: "And who is my dad?"
Mary: "I don't know."
Mom: "My father is Grandpa Benson."

This conversation led to a lengthy discussion of our family members. I could see that Kola was starting to make connections. After awhile, he had an announcement to make.

Kola: "Who's my mother?"
Mary: "Kola, you know the answer to that."
Kola: "You're my mom, but I have another mom, too."
Mary: "Yes, your Ukrainian mom."
Kola: "And I have a third mom!"
Mary: "Who's that?"
Kola: "My godmother Lois! And I have three dads--Papa, my Ukrainian dad, and my godfather Tim!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home