Friday, September 14, 2007

What's Missing?

Over a year ago, Misha lost the second of his front top baby teeth. One tooth came out on its own, while our dentist had to pull the other due to decay. Even without front teeth, Misha has managed to eat carrots, apples, and other hard foods--either by using his other teeth or by chomping down with his front gums, which must be calloused by now. He does ask me to cut apples for him when we're eating at home, which I always do. After he asks, however, it's a given that Olena wants her apple cut, too!

Just yesterday, as we were walking together after school, Misha showed me that one of his front permanent teeth was just starting to peek through the gum. He said it felt like a mosquito bite in that spot, but overall he was happy about the new development. I would be, too, if I was him!

He also asked me if I could spell "Mississippi" with only one "i." I remembered hearing this joke years ago, but couldn't recall the punch line. I tried various ways of spelling "Mississippi" out loud, like quickly eliding two syllables or pronouncing it without the last letter. From Misha's face it was obvious that I wasn't getting it. I gave up, and he told me, "Just put one hand over your EYE, and spell it 'Mississippi'!" He then looked up at me in delight, and his face shone with a beautiful gap-toothed smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home