Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Cure for the December Blues

It was a Dunkin Donuts morning. Chicago had its first major snowfall (five inches) starting last night and continuing until noon today. That meant that Jonathan and the older boys spent 45 minutes this morning shoveling sidewalks and digging out our two cars. Jonathan's absence meant that I did his work inside (setting the table and supervising the children) as well as my usual tasks of making lunches and cooking breakfast. "Supervising the children" was extra challenging due to their excitement about the snow, which made them CRAZY!

As I dropped them off at school, the enormity of the day started to hit me. (I won't bore you by enumerating it all--everybody has too much to do this time of year.) It was easy to decide that another cup of coffee and two doughnuts sounded pretty good. After my required meeting at church, I still felt pretty down, and decided to go home, escape the world for awhile, and sleep. Now I'm still way, way behind, but at least rested.

The other thing that helped me was meeting the kids after school. Their joy and revelry in the snow reminds me to lighten up and not let the December blizzard of my life weigh me down so much. The snow is indeed beautiful and worthy of rejoicing, as are the precious children God has given me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home