Monday, April 14, 2008

Mom on Strike

Jonathan and I split a lot of duties in our house, depending on our aptitudes. Laundry has always been one of my jobs, and the quietness of our unfinished basement is a real draw for me.

With all of the spring sports starting last week (track, baseball, softball, and soccer), our family has been pretty busy around suppertime. Unfortunately, that's the time that we normally do chores, with all the kids working together under the supervision of both parents. Last week, many days passed with no chores, which means that housekeeping was falling way behind. Finally on Sunday, there was a slot of time available, and the whole family worked to fold clothes.

"Worked" is not actually the correct word, however. Most of the children complained bitterly about the unfairness of their job. I finally blew my stack, especially since their folding takes about thirty minutes, while my washing and drying lasts for hours.

Jonathan and I decided that I wouldn't touch another piece of laundry until the kids apologized to me. In the meantime, he plans to supervise their work on washing, drying, and folding laundry. Should be very interesting, especially when a child remembers at the last minute that they need sports clothing for a practice or game. Our dryer needs repair, so nothing involving clothing happens very quickly.

Hmm . . . they say that experiential learning is the best way to change behavior!

1 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Angus and Kate said...

Excellent! Not only change in behavior, but laundry is a very valuable skill. Especially for the boys. I think women are impressed by men who can do their own laundry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home