Thursday, April 17, 2008

Rite of Passage

Two days ago, I received a phone call from the nurse at our elementary school. She explained that our ten-year-old Sarah had visited her office three times by 1:00 pm. Because her temperature was normal, the nurse continued sending her back to class, but finally the teacher became very exasperated and asked that she be sent home.

Sarah's pain was a sharp burning in her right ear. Since she has suffered ear infections in the past, we wondered if that was the cause. The lack of a fever, however, made us suspicious. Jonathan and I decided that she should stay at school, but that we'd take her to the doctor after school if the pain persisted.

After school, Sarah ran to greet me on the school playground. "What time is my soccer practice?" I asked her about the pain in her ear, but she told me it was much better now.

"Mom! Yesterday on my birthday, you and Dad told me my main birthday present was a pair of earrings and getting my ears pierced. Can we go today?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home