Monday, April 21, 2008

The "Ur" Sport

Jonathan and I have always noticed how people with similar personalities often gravitate to a particular instrument. I won't give examples, because that could get me into big trouble! But personally, I have learned how to play many different instruments at varying levels of ability, and my aptitutes and interests are definitely with keyboard instruments. In music theory, Schenkerian analysis focuses on the Urlinie or fundamental line (or idea) in the structure of a musical piece. The word "Ur" is one of those great German words that sums it all up.

Paul's basketball coach wants him to find his Ur sport, so I guess the same concept applies. Three of our children chose soccer this spring instead of baseball. Our eight-year-old David may have found his Ur sport. The last two seasons of T-ball and baseball, he has been squatting in the outfield, playing in the dirt while balls roll right past him. The coach finally made him catcher, so he'd be forced to pay attention. But at his second soccer game last Saturday, he played really well. I was so pleased at his focus and drive. Actually, relieved, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home