Thursday, June 19, 2008

What Goes Around Comes Around

When I was a teenager, my parents often corrected my grammar. Even though I knew the correct versions of verb tenses, it was just easier to say the first thing that came to mind. Since my fellow high school students didn't always speak correctly, I had heard poor English enough that some of it became automatic. It always irritated me when my parents commented on my verb tenses, but I know now that they had my best interest in mind.

Our children, especially the older boys, are very prone to yell "SHUT UP" at anyone who is irritating them. Jonathan and I are trying hard to persuade them that "Be Quiet!" is better. But it's not a big enough battle for us to employ a substantial consequence--we have bigger issues with them that require more attention. But I still mention "Be Quiet!" to them when I hear "SHUT UP", and I simultaneously envision my parents dutifully correcting my speech, too.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger Emma B said...

the same thing happened to me- my dad commented once that i had very good grammar for my age, but now that i'm graduating, i speak just as bad as everyone else in my school

 

Post a Comment

<< Home