Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"I Answered That Question Already"

Sarah and Kola ask the same questions over and over again. David has a different m.o.--he just talks all the time. It helps me when dealing with so much verbal stimuli if I remember the emotional reason behind it.

Their purpose is not information, but reassurance. If they have my attention, they're connected to me. If I'm not focused on them, the lack of attachment is threatening. I'm watching to see if the repetitive questions and incessant talking get better as they become more secure.

It's also good to refocus their activity. Yesterday, I told David that his had been the only voice in the car for minutes and minutes after school. Could he ask someone else about school? He took the suggestion and did an excellent job of engaging Kola, who was delighted to recount all the details of his day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home